With an unmatched need for pilots, technicians, and crewmembers, now is a great time to get into aviation. The financial restrictions of an air travel education should allow prospective student pilots and aviation lovers to pursue their dreams.
Through the generosity of member donations, the foundation aims to alleviate the monetary concern of education and training– providing lots of AOPA scholarships packages each year ranging from $2,500 to $14,000.
5 Tips for A Winning Scholarship Application
No matter which scholarship you are making an application for, here are five suggestions to win this scholarship program that will help make your application stand apart from the rest.
- Complete the application: You may believe that seems like a no-brainer, but you’ll be amazed by the variety of incomplete applications we receive. And incomplete applications are dismissed. Make certain to read and respond to each product thoroughly. For example, the application asks if you are related to an “AOPA staff member.” Many applicants incorrectly read that as “AOPA member” and incorrectly selected “yes.” This immediately disqualifies them since the scholarships aren’t open to a relative of staff members. That’s an error Thomas has seen frequently. So, if you require time to use it, put in the time to finish every element of the application thoroughly.
- Make your bio shine: This is the location to showcase your enthusiasm for aviation, including your aviation objectives. We know you wish to live, eat, and sleep via air travel, but there’s more to you than flying. So, emphasize how well-rounded you are through your extracurricular and volunteer activities.
- Please make certain your referrals turn their suggestions in on time: Put a lot of belief into who you wish to ask to be referrals, and follow up with them to ensure they send their suggestions on time. The due date is April 2; material will only be accepted later. Recommendations that are in after the due date will immediately disqualify a candidate. While we are on the subject of recommendations– ensure you pick people who will offer passionate suggestions for you! Oh, and provide adequate time to compose that glowing suggestion. AOPA will inform them to submit a recommendation once you have sent your application, so do not wait until the last minute.
- Tell us what you will do to discover to fly if you do not make a scholarship or if you need to supplement your scholarship to finish training: You might be thinking that sharing other opportunities of funding offered for your flight training could injure your chances of making a scholarship. That could not be even more from the truth. Discussing other funds that you have readily available for learning to fly, whether other scholarships, the money you have conserved, or additional tasks you would work on, shows us an important aspect of your character in air travel: having a plan. “People who have a strategy reveal that they are arranged and plan for the future,” says Thomas. Simply answering, “I do not know,” will not cut it.
- Discuss your long-lasting air travel objectives. Here’s a tip: This needs to be longer than one sentence! “We need to see their passion through their application,” Thomas states. If you wish to be an expert pilot or fly for fun and share the love of flight with others, excellent– discuss why and let us see the excitement inside you.
Apply Now: FIU Scholarships to Apply for In 2023
Top AOPA Scholarships to Apply for In 2023
1. Industry Scholarships
- Aero Club Foundation of Washington
- Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
- General Aviation Manufacturers Association scholarships
- The LeRoy W. Homer Jr. Scholarships
- University Aviation Association (UAA)
- Whirly Girls helicopter scholarships
- National Air Transportation Association (NATA)
- National Business Aviation Association (NBAA)
- National Gay Pilots Association
- The Ninety-Nines
- Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals
- SMS-Pro Aviation Safety Scholarship
- Air Force Association
- Aviation Education and Career EXPO Scholarship
- Women in Aviation, International
2. Regional Scholarships
If you have any questions about the scholarships, aopa advanced rating scholarship, AOPA scholarship deadline, AOPA scholarship winners or the application process, please send an email at FTscholarship@aopa.org, and they’ll get back to you!